Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Summertime - when the living is easy

I cannot believe that school is starting. We have had so much fun this summer. We have stayed up way too late and slept in way too late. I have absolutely loved the lazy days of summer. I love to stay in my pajamas all morning and not get anything done until late afternoon. Actually, we were gone from our home a lot this summer, whether it was on family vacation, a trip to Salt Lake City, or just hanging out in Idaho at grandma and grandpa's house. Here are some highlights of our summer:
The week after school got out we went on a last minute family vacation to California. Some of our friends were going with their kids and invited us to come along. We had a blast!! We started out at Sea World in San Diego. We also hit Disneyland and California Adventure and ended with Universal Studios in Hollywood. We would get to Disney when the park opened and stay until it closed. McKell loved meeting the characters, riding the tea cups, and the "Finding Nemo" submarine ride. Braxton rode pretty much every ride and loved the "Indiana Jones" ride and "Screamin'" at California Adventure. Also, the "Tower of Terror" was a huge highlight for him and me as well. I love fast rides and roller coasters and had a great time. Derek even made it through "Space Mountain" without getting too sick.

We even spent a whole day at Laguna Beach, California. I was not thrilled about this because I really don't like to lounge out in a swimsuit. However, this ended up being one of our favorite days. It was a great way to relax and slow down after the fast pace of the theme parks. Derek and I got completely fried. Apparently our snow-white skin wasn't used to the sun. We came home really red but it was worth it. It was a great experience for our family because our usual family vacation is to Idaho.

Our kids were also involved in many other things this summer. Braxton spent a week at football camp and McKell took swimming lessons. We spent the Fourth of July with my family. It is always fun to go to the parade and the sprinkler park. We always have a great time with our cousins. The Fourth is one of my favorite holidays and I love going to the fireworks in Idaho Falls. They are still the best I have ever seen.

To end the summer we spent two weekends with Destry and Tricia. They were great hosts as always. It was great to see them and catch up. When we visit there is always great food, great fun, and great conversation. The four of us stay up way too late talking. Also, my kids love to see their girls and Luke. We spent a Saturday afternoon swimming in Tricia's sister's pool and finished up our school shopping just in time to come home and get back to reality.

The summer is officially over. The kids have gone back to school and I have gone back to work. We were so not ready. I already miss the days of hanging out in my pajamas at home with nothing to do and nowhere to go. I guess getting back on schedule will be nice but I will be counting down the days until next summer.

4 comments:

The Taylor's said...

Did Derek leave that first comment or are you telling yourself that you "love you?" Blog looks good- glad someone else decided to jump on the bandwagon. Try to add our link again, something just must not have been entered right. This will be fun to keep an eye on what you guys have going on. Nat

Jennifer said...

Nat-
It was Derek that left the comment. I told him he should have signed his name at the end but he didn't. Jen

Arfmann Family said...

I love seeing the pics. I'll probably have to start a blog soon eventhough I've been a little bit of a blog basher!! I love seeing what you've been up to and tell Brax good luck on Thursday.
Love
HOllie

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn,
I found your blog and love it. I will keep checking it. I promise my updates are coming soon. I hope tou have a good birthday this week. I will come and visit. Love ya
jen winger