Monday, October 6, 2008

Houston, we have a problem.

I am on a business trip in Houston, Texas - I am not that excited about being here. Even though it is fun to spend someone else’s money traveling – I would much rather be home.

I usually take the airport shuttle from Logan to the Salt Lake airport. This gives me a chance to either relax and catch up on a little sleep or listen to stories from the driver on the way to the airport. Sometimes I want to pretend I am deaf (it worked so well for Elaine on Seinfeld). But this time was a little different.

We had gone to Salt Lake on Saturday and were staying at Destry and Trish’s. Jen said that she would take me to the airport but later Destry volunteered for the early morning drop-off. Against Jen’s advice, I accepted Destry’s offer.

It was a nice and quick 25 minute drive to the airport - no crazy stories just a random sampling of music from Destry’s iPod to keep us awake. Along the way we stopped for a breakfast burrito, I got my wallet out to pay but Destry took care of it (thanks again). When you are in a car and are fat, it is difficult to get your wallet out of your back pocket – it is even harder to get it back into your pocket so I just set my wallet on my lap.

We got to the airport and I got out, grabbed my luggage, and said good-bye to Destry. I took one step into the terminal and realized I had left my wallet in Destry’s car. I figured he was gone but I didn’t panic because this is the 21st century and everyone has cell phones. I immediately called Destry’s phone – it went right to voice mail – I panicked.

To make a long story short, Destry drove home, was informed that I was stranded at the airport, got his phone, drove back to the airport, gave me my wallet, and drove me back to his house – I had missed my 6:50 AM flight and was bumped to the 12:50 PM flight. I felt quite embarrassed but it was nice to go back to Destry’s, have another breakfast, and see the kids again one last time.

Even though Destry offered to take me to the airport again, Jen insisted and took me back to the airport. All I had to do was admit that Jen is always right and agree to do whatever she says for the rest of my life.

4 comments:

Adam and Aubrey said...

I'm so glad you finally realized your wife is ALWAYS right. One man down! A bazillion more to go! I hope you have some fun on your trip! Why don't you buy yourself something fancy?!

Kristin said...

The best part of your story...the last line. No really, I liked the entire story, but the ending was good. :)

Trish said...

Whatever...you and Destry will do anything to spend more time together. Even keep your wives up all night worrying about your flight.

Brittney said...

Man nice way of trying to spend a little more time with your brother!! Gotta love it! At least you realized it before you got to Houston- that would have been really exciting!