Sunday, December 6, 2009

Church News

Yesterday at our ward Christmas breakfast, our old priest quorum advisor showed me the current edition of the Church News. I was surprised to see an article about the Eagle Scout project of one of my priests. He raised wheat on some land of the advisor, had it processed into flour, and donated it to the local food bank. To see the full article go to: http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/58289/Law-of-the-harvest-yields-flour-for-food-bank.html


This was such a fun project - our priests were able to help cultivate the soil and get it ready for planting, plant the wheat using a very old drill, lay and move irrigation sprinkler pipe, ride along in the combine as the wheat was harvested, and finally deliver the flour to the food bank.

None of these boys have ever been around a farm. It was so fun to watch them drive a tractor and learn about where some of our food actually comes from. Working with the youth has always been at the top of my "Callings I Never Want" list - but it has been great - mainly because of my great boys.

2 comments:

Jill said...

That is a GREAT project. You don't see stuff like that when you live in the city.

The Taylor's said...

I've always wanted to be related to someone who is famous. Nice work for the boy-cool idea.