Saturday, September 20, 2008

I Will Not Give Up

I have had a few situations this week where because of difficulty I have given up. It started last week on my Saturday run (http://www.pinnocks.com/blog/2008/09/14/AtLeastIWent.aspx). It started out okay but after awhile I felt more tired than usual and the run seemed to drag on. I had to walk and rest before my running plan dictated. I gave up and ran the shortest route home – not finishing the full 30 minute plan.

At CrossFit on Friday, the workout of the day was Fran. The workout Fran (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVBgKB4Gnsw) consists of doing 21, 15, and 9 reps alternating between thrusters (squat with a barbell at shoulder level then stand up and push the barbell above your head) and pull-ups. The trainer suggested that I do 95# thrusters, which is the weight recommended for men. Time started and it became obvious very quickly that I was not going to be able to do the workout with 95#. I struggled through the 21 reps of the first round and then moved onto the 21 reps of pull-ups. Sadly, I decreased the weight down to 75# to finish the last two rounds of thrusters. I finished with a respectable time of 6:30 but the experience left me let down, upset, and empty.

The running plan today was to run for 22 minutes, walk for one minute, and then run for seven more minutes to finish the 30 minute plan. The run quickly became a repeat of last week. At sixteen minutes in, I was exhausted. I wanted to quit, my body begged me to. The week’s failures quickly went through my mind. I decided then that I would keep running - no matter how much pain I felt. I told my pains to shutup and kept running. The one minute walk after 22 minutes of running was very welcome but passed quickly. I finished the run and felt redeemed.

I am glad I did not give up. There are a few more weeks to go until I reach my goal of running for 30 minutes with no rests – just in time for the 5k. If my running doesn’t improve there will pain - a lot more pain – but I will not give up. I guess I will find out for sure next week.

5 comments:

Adam and Aubrey said...

wow. You are killer. I had no idea you had it in you. And I had no idea how much of a runner you've become. I am NOT a runner. This ol body of mine is just not all about that. But the will is stronger I guess. That's what your post is telling me anyway. I have yet to find out on my own accord. Proud of you Derek. You are going to kick some trash at that 5k!

Brittney said...

I am very impressed with the dedication to working out! And just having you describe those workouts makes me start to ache! So good luck on that race! Can't wait to hear about it!

Jennifer said...

Brittney,
Aubrey told me last week that she would run the race with us. You would be welcome to join with us. Misery loves company.
Derek

Trish said...

You are a champ! Keep going strong. The running is killing me, but I am still trying to improve weekly. You look awesome and are a total inspiration.

Kristin said...

I love to go for a run (okay...so it's more of a jog). I don't always enjoy the running as I'm doing it, but love how I feel after I've done it. :) Good luck in your race...that's great!