Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'm Forrest, Forrest Gump


At CrossFit we often run as part of the workout of the day. The runs are short; usually three to five rounds of two to four blocks each. We run on the street right behind our building. Even though it is only one block west of Main Street there are very few cars that drive on it. The street slopes down on each side so running on the side of the road is difficult. It makes if feel like one of your legs is working twice as hard as the other. For this reason, I usually run right in the middle of the street.

The other day while running at CrossFit there was nobody in front of me, I had a long open view to the end of the block where I would turn around. I thought that I must have looked like Forrest Gump as he ran through the desert in the middle of the road. I started quoting lines from the movie in my mind. It helped pass the time but became annoying when I tried to remember all of the kinds of shrimp that Bubba told Forrest about.

Now I have to pay close attention when I run to make sure someone is in front of me when I run at CrossFit – if I don’t I start thinking I look like Forrest Gump and start dreaming of shrimp . . .

You can barbeque it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it, shrimp cabobs, shrimp gumbo, pan-fired, stir-fried, pineapple shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp stew, shrimp soup, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich – that’s about it.

5 comments:

Trish said...

Run Derek, Run.....and I was Running!!! I was at the gym today and saw a guy doing handstand push-ups. I thought of you.

Allison Holt said...

Derek... I'm glad to see someone is updating you blog regularly finally... I serously laughed out loud cause I can totally picture you as forrest....

Kristie Lemons said...

I personally can't believe you can remember all that stuff from forest gump. Next time you come to town we should go out for shrimp.

Kristin said...

Forest Gump...funny. It's hard to believe that Braxton is in high school. Time flies. Looks like he's enjoying football and the fam is all doing well.
Jeremy

Adam and Aubrey said...

It's amazing. There is a very strong resemblance between you and that handicapped Forrest guy. . . kidding. But way to go on all the running. You inspire me. almost enough to get off my couch. Almost.